Tuesday, August 3, 2010

How Do You Measure A Year


This past weekend we watched the movie version of the musical Rent. I don't like to mention names - Blue Eyes - but not everyone enjoyed it. I on the other loved it. While it's not happy like Hairspray or Mamma Mia! or romantic like The Phantom of the Opera, it's still a great musical. I suppose the subject material of AIDS, violence and drugs does not help matters.

While it is about those things, it also poses a very important question: How do You Measure a Year?

I'm paraphrasing from the song here but basically are you the type of person that measures your life in:

- minutes (
525 600 to be exact)
- daylights
- sunsets
- midnights
- cups of coffee
- inches
- miles
- laughter
- strife
- truths learned
- times cried
- bridges burned

In the end, they offer up love as a measurement of a year. The song is called Seasons of Love after all.

While I'd love to measure a year in love, I'm afraid it won't be a very long calculation. I have to wait for Bradley Cooper to wake up and realise that he loves me first :)

But from now on, I think the measurement of a year shouldn't be how many hours you spent a job you didn't like, or how many times you looked at your phone wishing he'd call or even all those moments spent cursing in traffic.

From now on, I'm measuring a year in how many good coffee dates I've had with Blue Eyes, the nights I danced with my gays to Glee, the laughs I've had with my brothers and sisters, and the times when I realised how lucky I am.

How do you measure a year?

Ex-Oh! Ex-Oh!

Ps. If you wanna hear the song, click here.

Image from here.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know how I measure a year. In love...how sweet. I never saw Rent but always wanted too. I think I'm going to measure a year in smiles & laughs! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love this post!
    I heard a great saying and it is very common now, but it stuck with me ever since:
    Life is not measured by the number of breathes you take, but by the moments that take your breathe away.
    My year is measured by the number of cups of coffee/wine (depending on the time of day) I drank and the amounts of laughter and meaningful/meaningless conversations I had with my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about this before, to be honest the last couple of years have been quite horrible so I've been glad to see the back of them. But you've given me something to think about. This July was the first year cancer-free for my younger sister, so perhaps from this year forward I will measure my year with the lovely things in life; good health, coffee and cupcakes with my friends, and making good memories.

    Thanks for the inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete

Whoop! There It Is!